07 October 2011

We just finishing reading...

On the Banks of Plum Creek.

Little Sister, of course, is a bit less patient with longer chapters and fewer pictures, and so after we finished the first two books in the Little House series we decided to 'divide and conquer' the girls' bedtime reading routine for a while. Among other things, she's particularly enjoying some Junie B. Jones and Magic Tree House with Daddy.

So Big Sis and I read Plum Creek together before bedtime this month, just her and me. What a wonderful experience it is, reading a book you loved as a little girl to your own child. Especially hearing her express interest in the characters, having her repeat some of the beautiful imagery (Laura listened to the water talking and the willows whispering); just seeing her imagination at work.

Many times I've overheard the girls in their play, referencing a covered wagon, horses named Pet and Patty, etc. It always makes my heart happy. And then, the other day, I came upon this scene on our living room floor. Can you guess what it is?
Big Sis told me, "It's a (one room) school house." I tell you what, I love that kid.

1 comment:

susan said...

i just love your little girls, Amanda. We have read Heidi and that was a great experience. I, myself, have never read any little house on the prairie books. I can't wait to check them out!
Susan