Hello, my name is Amanda, and I am a Goodwill addict.
{Group says in unison, "Hi, Amanda."}
It started out innocently enough. Not only do I enjoy being frugal, but I was taught to lessen the impact of our 'footprint' on the Earth by purchasing items second hand, thus reducing the dependency on the consumer driven "new" merchandise economy and reusing an item already in circulation. Make sense? Yeah, my Dad explained it better, too.
But then, I started to enjoy the hunt. Too many times had I gone into Goodwill looking for a specific item, and come out with that item and more.
No, it started to feel too good to 'score' an awesome deal. It's like a high...
For instance:
A Liz Claiborne khaki 'safari' cropped trench jacket. I already have a coat, but I didn't have a jacket... Did I need a jacket? Well, only sort of... but it was only $2! Score!!
And, I swear, I had just read a cute tutorial on using these little ceramic containers as plant pots, when {{GASP!!}} there it was on the shelf at Goodwill! And only $1!!
And I have been wanting a mirror for either the living room, above the stove in the kitchen, or behind my lamp on my nightstand in the bedroom. Look at this gem!! It's a sturdy piece, too. For $2, plus a little spray paint, it's going to look VERY cute wherever I decide to put it!! If I can decide...
Again, I swear, I've been wanting glass drinking jars. They are adorable, are they not? We kept breaking our bar glasses (not on purpose) and I decided to start checking out Goodwill regularly to replace our glasses with drinking jars. So cute. And at just 50 cents each, it's really an economical replacement. I just need 4 more.... or... maybe 6 more? In case we have company?
Okay... So I needed a pair of flip-flops like I needed a hole in the head. But!!! They are Reef, and they still had the tags on them. Yes! Totally brand spankin' new! A good brand, and they go through the washing machine anytime I need them to. And I wear them a lot, so there.
Okay, so I did want a creamer and sugar jar set. I did! I just didn't expect to find it at Goodwill and replace my old set so quickly. The lid on my old one broke, and despite a little gluegun action, it was looking less chic and more shabby. So... at 50 cents each, this is a great set. I seriously heart the red floral toile. So stinking fabulous. And not so much a problem.
This is where my credibility gets dicey.
I think the lady at the register thought I was nuts, because I stood there biting my thumb and mumbling for three minutes deciding if I wanted to bite the bullet and buy a half set of gorgeous 'new' dishes for like $9. You know, to mix and match with our plain Target white ones. I think it's a cute idea.
Okay, okay, so $9.60 to be exact, which is my most expensive Goodwill purchase to date. Sheesh! Get off my back!
Anyway. I know she heard me as I said to myself, "My husband will think I've gone off the deep end."
I totally dove head first.
Okay, so this was behind the register and was totally impulsive. But at $5, why not?!
(P.S. This is my second largest Goodwill purchase to date. Just to justify it.)
I didn't realize Goodwill was smart enough to put 'impulse-buy-items' behind their register directly in my line of vision. It's like the same mentality that placed candy directly in the check-out line at the grocery store. It's so smart it's scary...
I was thinking it would be fantastically cute to store toilet paper in our new bathroom, or to stack my little plastic trays for hair things and make-up, or stack other trays in for my jewelry, etc... I have been wanting a bigger jewelry box....
Now, just so you know... all of these items have been purchased in between the last 3 weeks and the last 4 months.... so... it's not that bad. Right? Is it that bad? Crap...
Am I even allowed to browse after a drop-off donation?!
Good thing I didn't tell you about that cute blouse I got the same day I bought the jacket....
1 comment:
great stuff! i support it!
Post a Comment