Lame title? Let's continue on, then.
Just as the girls decided on their Halloween costumes this year, Hancock Fabric was having a
major sale on patterns. Coincidence? I think not!

Little Sis was a purple-rainbow butterfly. For my beautiful butterfly, I used this
Tinkerbell pattern by Simplicity. To save this novice seamstress some time and frustration, and seeing as how Sis wanted to wear her pink, velvet leotard on top, I only created the bottom skirt portion with an elastic waist. Also, I sewed felt (with cardboard inside!) to create the wings, with elastic straps, making them cheaper, faster, easier. Silly Hubby forgot to to take a picture of the backside of the wings, where, trust me, a lot of effort and time was focused. But those girls were antsy to get outside and start collecting their bounty!

For Big Sis, I first sewed her red cotton cape using this
Butterick pattern. Having lost neither my mind nor my finger, I proceeded with a blue gingham sundress with red trim from
Simplicity. I wanted to make her a summer dress she could wear again (and again), thus the non-costume dress. This beginner was in uncharted territory here!
But eventually, I completed a perfectly wearable dress. Given the wonderful learning experience I just received, Big Sis is hoping I make her an identical dress in a simple, blue denim for the cooler weather. Which should be a breeze compared to my first attempt. But I digress. Topped off with a simple apron (fabric leftover from lining) and basket, she makes a real darling Little Red Riding Hood, does she not?
And as the girls have yet to cooperate when I attempt to take outdoor natural light photographs of them in their costumes in exchange for a piece of Halloween candy (even for candy?! whose children are these?!), I only have the indoor shots from that evening.
Hope your Halloween was happy!
1 comment:
you did a great job! i LOOOOOOOVE homemade costumes.
Post a Comment