28 August 2011

Keeping up with the Joneses

We are somewhat behind the times as far as tv, music and movies are concerned. This does not concern us in the least bit.

Side note: when the h-e-double hockey sticks did classic rock start qualifying as 'oldies' music?! Is this some kind of sick joke all the radio DJ's are in on? Oldies are golden, and conjure up images of Wayne Newton gently swaying in front of a jukebox. Oldies do not include, absolutely under no circumstances before my 40th birthday, Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird.

Pffft. I'm still offended.

Erm... anyway. So far this summer, we managed to cross these few must-see films off our list:

1. Seriously good. It was a must-see for Hubby, as he's a fan of the Coen Brothers. Though I do wonder at the PG-13 rating.

2.
Um... can we say awkward? Natalie Portman was terrific. It was good in a dark, twisted, never-ever-going-to-watch-it-again-and-thank-God-I-wasn't-sitting-next-to-my-parent-when-we-saw-it way.

3. This was great! Moving with touches of humor. This was my pick, but I don't think Hubby was disappointed.

4.
Terrific. Fantastic. Phenomenal. No wonder it won Best Picture! And I'm not just saying that because I have a mad crush on Mr. Darcy. Um... I mean, Colin Firth. But perhaps for his next project he could jump into a lake with a white shirt on? Maybe?

5.
Very good. And awesome soundtrack and cinematography. I don't usually dwell on that side of a film, but we really did notice and appreciate it.

6.
We are a few episodes in. I'm kind of appalled by the way they portray the treatment of women in the work place. (This coming from a housewife--go figure). Anyone else? But I think we'll continue watching. It has a pretty terrific ensemble cast, set design, costumes, etc.

So that is what's been in our DVD player this summer. What have you been watching?

1 comment:

rebecca said...

stick with mad men!! it gets better and better.