08 April 2011

How I Met Their Father

We look about 12 years old here. Also, I am slouching horribly.
But pre-teens don't always maintain good posture, I guess.

I walked into the bleachers at the NAU Sky Dome, to watch a football game and my junior year roommate perform the half-time show. She introduced me to the rest of the tuba section, and there he was wearing his white, polyester overalls marching band uniform.
Sort of like these. So, no, it was not quite love at first sight.

But later that night, we bumped into each other at a band get-together, and he introduced himself to me. Ten minutes later we were still talking, about education, traveling, religion and our life goals. And I was rethinking my prejudice against white polyester one-piece marching band suits. Understated, yet sexy, right?

It took a few months before we had our first date. We both had quite recently broken up with other people when we met (like... by mere days, in my case), and were definitely not looking for a boy/girlfriend. But our friends quickly tired of us always sitting next to each other, elbow to elbow, joking, smiling, laughing; essentially flirting. The connection was obvious. And sickeningly cute, I might add.

He initiated the transition from friends to dating, and I was so nervous about this that I might have started avoiding him once I realized just how much I liked him. Luckily for me, he was still interested by the time I wised up. So we shared an appetizer at the Olive Garden and fell in love, some 9 Super Bowl Sundays ago.
The beach outside our very first apartment (a total litter-box, by the way),
taken before our very first wedding anniversary.


Hubby is my best friend. He is an awesome, loving and doting father and husband, and quite a good roommate (with a lil' bit of training). He is a fantastic provider, and is very supportive of my role as full-time mother and homemaker. He'd be equally supportive of my role if it was full-time rocket scientist or janitor, though. That's how he rolls. He makes me laugh, he balances our home with calm during one of my stressed-out-dish-gloves-and-Clorox cleaning rants, he uses character voices when he reads to our daughters each night, the list goes on-and-on. He's just a great guy, and a perfect match for me. I love him more with each passing day.

I foresee many more shared appetizers and Super Bowl Sundays in our future.


1 comment:

Noodles said...

Aw, I enjoyed reading this :)