09 May 2010

A Perfect Mother's Day

In our home, the Mother's Day celebration exemplifies and honors all that it means to be a mom. Meaning, it's no where near perfect,but it's pretty darn good. The highlights:

  • I woke up to the sound of my alarm at 6:55am. Coming from the kitchen, where I accidentally left my phone. Turned it off and went back to bed.
  • Having Little Sister wake up and come into our room, asking to come lay down with us. At 7:02am. Little Sister wouldn't lay still, so Daddy took her into the living room and turns on PBS Kids before coming back to bed, where I lay for the next 15 minutes trying to get back to sleep. I fail. It's my national holiday to sleep in, and I'm awake before 7am.
  • A handmade gift from Big Sister that her teachers at Pre-K helped her write and illustrate: "A Story About My Mom." That's the good stuff, I tell ya.
  • On the way home from the dog park, Big Sister suggests we sing 'the Happy Mother's Day' song, which is (apparently) sung to the tune of Happy Birthday. Incredibly sweet!!
  • Fell into a toilet, cause the seat got left up. I swear, I haven't done that... I think EVER... but today, on Mother's Day... "yelp! splash!" Fitting, really.
  • I open my card at lunch, which contains a gift certificate for a massage! I am pleasantly surprised, because I didn't really want anything. No, really. I've been a little crabby this week, and feeling quite undeserving of any gifts bearing the seal of 'Mother's Day presents.' As I'm giving the Hubby a big hug and smooch to say my thanks, I hear this:
Big Sis: "Mom! Mommy?! MOM?!"
Me: "Yeah?"
Big Sis: "The card says, 'Happy Mother's Day. See?"
Me: "Yes, babe, it does." Commence hugging my husband, while he's laughing.
Little Sis: "What does it say? Sis! Did she open it?"
Big Sis: "YES, Sis!" Rolling her eyes... "It says, 'Happy Mother's Day!"
Lil Sis: "Can I see, Mommy?"
  • Hearing my daughters tell me, at every opportunity, "Happy Mother's Day!!" Or as the (almost) three year-old says, "Happy Mozzer's Day!" I hug them, thank them, and tell them that I wouldn't be a mommy if it weren't for them!
Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be a mommy. But I had no idea just how joyful, humbling, fulfilling and rewarding being a parent would be. How attached I would become to the full-time task of mothering and keeping our home. It is rarely easy, this work. But it is always, eternally, worth it. I feel so incredibly fortunate to be called Mommy, to be entrusted with these precious, little lives. Even when the won't let me sleep past 7am on my national holiday...

Happy Mozzer's Day to all our favorite Mama's!!

No comments: