01 July 2010

I heart Mary Poppins and chalkboard paint

Here it is. I threatened to, and I always deliver on my threats. Erm... that sounds bad. Regardless, here is an entire post devoted to my adoration of chalkboard paint.

'Member a week or two (or three?) back when I overbought on the sweets and also threw in some chalkboard paint?

Well, first I painted the top of our solid wood patio table:
We got it awhile back for $10 from Salvation Army. It was already the exact shade of black, so it works perfectly. Just in case you need a reminder as to the purpose of the front porch (to relax and watch children play during the sun set, etc.) we wrote a handy-dandy note.

Then, I slapped little on our planters:
And then, I used the chalkboard paint, some leftover white spray paint, a 11x14 piece of PDF and a $3 frame from Salvation Army to whip up this:

I like it! It can be changed up anytime, used to leave notes for someone, the menu for a special occasion meal, etc. I'm thinking it could also look super cute hanging on a front door as a welcome sign!

And having watched Mary Poppins recently, I can't help but sing "Chim Chim Cheree" as I was drawing.

Chim chiminey Chim chiminey Chim chim cher-ee! A sweep is as lucky As lucky can be

Ahem.

The girls have also requested a chalkboard frame of their very own for the toy room/office. A quick trip to Salvation Army will certainly supply me with an inexpensive over sized wood frame of our dreams for that project!

And, of course, I'm looking a little too longingly at our dining room cupboard.

I'm wondering how the cabinet doors would look if I painted them like so.

On one hand: it was free, it's particle board, and it is not my dream cupboard. I wouldn't chalkboard paint my dream cupboard. (Or would I...)

On the other hand: it could be too kitschy, and it's particle board--so who knows how the paint would take to it.

Thoughts? Advice? The address of a local Chalkboard Paint's Anonymous meeting please?!

2 comments:

luke and pamela said...

i love your chalkboard crafts! i've been waiting to find something second hand to chalk board paint into something framed - exactly like your flower drawing - but i wasn't finding anything! what is pdf? i finally just paid $7 for a framed chalkboard at ikea a few weeks ago. we've been loving it, but i wish it was handmade! love all of your creations!

Our Family said...

Oh, I'm a dork! It's MDF. It's like a 1 inch thick piece of plywood from the hardware stores. The white frame is 11x14, and I had the guy cut the MDF to that size and just stapled it into the back. Hopefully I'll find a 24x36 frame for the girls.
We're hoping to keep me home until Fall 2011, when Lil Sis starts Pre-K. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but hopefully something with really flexible hours so I can be home with my girls as much as possible.