25 February 2010

The Night Owl

The other night, the girls were exhausted and went to bed at 7:15pm. Usually, they're 8pm-8am kinda ladies, so this was a nice treat. Since Hubby had to work, I banished myself to my sewing room. We were in need of a large tote bag for our trips to the public library, and I was pretty sure I had enough canvas and fabric scraps to pull something together. Four hours later, I emerged victorious!

Initially, I was quite intimidated by a tote bag tutorial. "No way I could ever do that." And while I could point out at least 8 mistakes, I won't. It's perfectly imperfect. And it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. So, don't let your fears stop you from trying, too!!

Applique takes practice, rhythm, patience, and a few unglorifying words. Don't give up!
I found my design inspiration here for $4.50, but thought.... I could do that. I traced directly onto the back of the wonder under. A lid on top of a bowl for the owl body, adding ears, and folded it in half when I cut it to create symmetry. The wings are a traced bowl, the eyes were a traced spool of thread, etc. Nothing fancy, just what is already in the house.

I thought an owl would perfect for a library tote, as they are traditionally characterized as wise animals, and visits to the library are intended to further our self-education and encourage the seeking of wisdom. Or for free Internet.

The Internet is an awesome supply of free tutorials, designs, inspiration, etc. Here are my resources for this project, in case you decide you can do this, too. (And you can!)
Owl applique
Tote bags and more tote bags
Applique

1 comment:

luke and pamela said...

this is so cute!! i love it! you are so good at applique.

ps. and you will not believe what our library bag looks like. i'm going to send you a pic.