Best childhood gift from Santa:
The Christmas I turned five I received a large cardboard doll house. I remember being totally enamored of it, and playing with it like crazy for a long time. That year, we also received a kitten. We named him Christkit (?) so his name pertained to Christmas.
Best childhood memories:
My mom's side of the family always had homemade Mexican food(!) on Christmas Eve, open one gift the night before, and then the next morning we'd have coffee cake and listen to Grandma Nancy read the passage in the Bible describing the birth of Christ. The whole family was there for both. On my dad's side, we'd open our presents at our home on Christmas morning, and then would get the whole family together on later on Christmas day and have a large feast. I loved playing with my cousins before we all opened even more presents. Looking back, I like how spending that time with family was a priority.
Favorite Christmas cookies:
It would be simpler to name a Christmas cookie I don't like: those pecan/sugar ones rolled in confectioner's sugar. They're just okay.
Icky Christmas memory:
That would be the Christmas right after my parents separated. Santa was my last hope to get my parents back together, and even he couldn't do it. ;-)
It's not Christmas without:
Snow. Or at least cold weather. I think I've had more warm, Arizona Christmas' than not, but it still feels slightly wrong.
Christmas Pet Peeve:
The holiday shopping season beginning earlier and earlier every year, and the consumer driven madness that ensues. Also, I'm not too fond of all the hoopla surrounding Santa Claus. We won't deny his existence to our children, but we will only promote him as a representative of the spirit of giving; a mascot for Saint Nicholas. We will not force our kids on his lap or let them believe he is solely responsible for the bounty under the tree come Christmas morning. Yes, we are those parents. Bring on the hate mail.
Real or Fake:
Fake. I know, I know.... but it's more cost effective for us. Some would say it's more environmentally friendly, too, even though there are counter arguments as to how Christmas trees are farmed solely for this purpose, and it supports the economy to support this farming... bleh. I then go back to, "but it's more cost effective for us." We do, however, one day envision a sweet little brick home on a large lot, where we can purchase a plantable Christmas tree to plant in our yard. You know, once it stops snowing.
I spend Christmas Eve:
With my family, always. Generally, we do a craft, have a nice homemade meal, get in jammies and open one gift, all by the twinkling tree lights. This year we will be with Hubby's parents, and they like to host a family dinner and open more than one gift. Either way, family.
1 comment:
I like this. I'm going to steal it.
Post a Comment