01 December 2009

This Week...

...we are thankful for many things, including (but not limited to)....
  • A roof over our heads. It is beautiful, in a safe neighborhood, right across the street from the park, and it has more than enough space for each member of our family--reminding us how fortunate we are to be citizens of one of the wealthiest nations in the world.
  • Family. We were able to visit with many family members this past weekend, and friends who are like-family (!), and we are so grateful to have such a wonderful, funny, supportive and loving group of people to call family. We are also grateful for our close proximity to them! See y'all again in a few weeks!
  • Employment. Hubby is gainfully employed at a job he mostly adores, he returns home to us each evening, and it supports us enough that I may remain at home with our children. We are incredibly fortunate that we have been able to make this dream a reality each and every day of the last 5 years.
  • Even on the worst days, I am able to stay home with our children. I am far from the perfect mother. I am not always patient, I need 'me-time,' I sneak sweets when the kids aren't looking and don't share, and I do not prefer folding laundry (okay, I sort of hate it), but the challenging stuff... like colic, poop, colds, snot, tantrums, screaming, vomit, constipation, sleep deficiencies, crying, whining, teething, hitting, biting, more crying... that is the reason to stay home. We believe we can provide the best care for our children because we love them more than anyone else in this world. And I am incredibly fortunate to have spent the last 5 years with our girls, especially through the challenging stuff.

  • Health. There is so much sickness and suffering in the world, and no rhyme or reason as to who it affects. But right now we have our health, and that is a tremendous blessing. Well, our mental health is fleeting... but as parents of young children, that happens.
  • Our trusty van. Respect the Odyssey. We always said we would never drive a minivan, and then we had kids! But that thing has hauled everything, from pets to couches to groceries to dirt to gifted pianos to 7 large bins of recyclables plus 2 dozen cardboard boxes... not to mention delivering our family safely to each of our chosen destinations. It just keeps on going strong. Big Blue reached 85,000 miles recently; here's to the next 100, 000!
  • Our dogs. They are friendly, lovable, energetic and sweet little guys, and they truly add a special something to our family. Occasionally they contribute a special something on the door mat, too.
  • Each other. We are a happy family and we love one another. Sure, the dishes stack up, laundry gets left on the floor unfolded, or sometimes we make one another mad or hurt each others' feelings. Above all else, though, we work together, we communicate, and we put in effort. We love one another. We are a family.

No comments: