Ten things we've been up to in the last week....
1) I took an overnight, round trip with the girls to Phoenix last weekend for Uncle D's and Aunt C's baby shower. That's 8 hours of driving. With two children, ages 4.10 and 2.6, respectively. By myself. And we survived!
2) Actually, the girls did amazingly well. They are, in general, great travelers. It's just the occasional horrific tantrum while I'm driving that results in us having to pull over for an hour break over fries and my vow to never, ever take a road trip with the children by myself again.
3) Our children actually spent time serenading me with Twinkle, Twinkle on this drive. A good 20 minutes worth! I vow to drive with them again, soon!
4) I realized I can identify our rotation of car toys in the blue basket between our Capt's chairs entirely by touch with one hand so I can keep both eyes on the road. Such a 'mommy' skill. Is there a job application in the world this would look good on?
5) The reason for the girls' only trip: Hubby was working that weekend. He performed at the Cardinals game. As in, the Arizona Cardinals football team, you ask? Why, yes!! One and the same. It's only his favorite team!! For his favorite sport! He performed pre-game with the Higher Ground Brass Band, and then also in their half-time show. His mom and brother, Uncle D, were able to attend and cheer on our favorite tuba player. I am so sad I missed it, but so, very proud of Hubby!!
6) This gig topped Hubby's list of 'Awesomest Army Band Gigs EVER,' which already included the 2008 & 2009 Kentucky Derby's, the 2008 NASCAR-Talledega race, and 2009 annual Mardi Gras Parade in New Orleans. Yeah, not too shabby for government work.
7) Little Sister is taking a little break from earning potty candies (M&M's) by utilizing our facilities. We are not concerned by this in the least. She's young, and does not yet seem physically capable of telling us before she is about to go, so much as after the fact. L.S.-"Mommy, I have to go potty." Me-"Actually, sweetheart, you did." It was all a lot of guesswork on our part as to when she was about to go, and then bribing her to sit beforehand. It'll happen, and we'll keep encouraging it, but me and my mop are okay with the hiatus this week.
8) It is quite dangerous for me to have a large bag of M&M's in our pantry. I earn two every time I utilize our facilities!
9) We are blessed with great kids. I am feeling incredibly, incredibly grateful lately for my time at home with them. Like-- tears springing in my eyes as I fold their little socks or watch a sappy commercial--grateful.* A large part is this looming sense of mortality that has really hit us both lately, unfortunately due to some illness and death of old friends. Also due to the amazing growth and maturity these girls are displaying as of late; enough to make you notice that, while they will always be your babies, they certainly are not babies anymore. Big Sister and I have been talking about her looming 5th birthday (yes! as in FIVE years old!!!), and she keeps saying, "And then I'll turn 6. And then 7. And then 8, and 9, and 10!" To which I respond by excusing myself to get a tissue. The days are so long, but the years so fast.
*And yes, Hubby is extra glad we got a second dog recently.
10) We had a new friend, who is a budding photographer, take our family photo this weekend. She has a good eye, and as she is just starting her business, she is so cheap it felt like highway robbery. Alas, I am cheapskate; perfect match. It is, sadly, only our 2nd official family photo session ever. We make up for it by taking a cajillion everyday photos of our girls, but it's certainly nice to be in front of the camera with them for once. Proof we were there, too. And it is exactly our style; outdoors, jeans, etc. We will post some as soon as we receive our CD of edited prints!
No comments:
Post a Comment