11 October 2009

Prettifying

I prettyified the laundry room the other day. Yes, that is my made up word.

Most of the time the door is closed, as to prevent me from viewing the piles of laundry yet to be folded. Unless the clothes line is up (a.k.a. tension rod rigged across the bottom of the doorway). Then the door is open but blocked by wet clothing on hangers.


Wait, what's my point? Ah, yes. I prettified it, starting with the door. I thought it needed an attractive sign. In case any residents of our home capable of washing laundry happened to forget where the laundry room was located and needed a reminder. And the attractive sign needed to be free. Hence, a little Microsoft Word action, a wood hanger from the laundry basket (originally $0.25 from St. V de P), some ribbon from the scrap bin and TA-DA.


A little wood crate from Michael's ($4) was painted and distressed, and then I Mod Podged a vintage fruit can label on the sides. I found the label at a little antique store in Tombstone for $2. It holds stain spray, wrinkle spray, and various laundry accoutrement.


Then I replaced our various plastic bottles with empty, washed out wine bottles left over from dinners with company. They were purchased simply for their pretty label, and the beautiful colored glass is much more attractive then anything Proctor & Gamble can come up with. No offense. I just put cheapo wine stoppers in the top. Cheapo pour spouts would work great, too, and I plan to do this for our dish soap in the kitchen.


Don't worry: I will not forget the actual contents of the bottles.

In the works is a large glass jug for the major detergent. They still sell wine in a glass jug, did you know? Roughly $11.00 for a gallon size jug. The jug is still in the fridge because the wine is just alright, I haven't gotten around to freezing some in ice cube trays for use in winters' roasts, soups, etc, no one needs that much frozen wine in their freezer, and I am too cheap to pour it all down the sink. $11.00 for a jug! I thought I'd pay $6.00...

Is it crazy to want an attractive laundry room? I spend so much time there, I may as well enjoy looking at my surroundings. It took such minimal effort, too.

And, lest you think I'm too crazy, a view of the laundry room in all it's actual glory. I said I prettified it, I didn't say it was clean. It's basically never clean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your Laundry Room sign on the wall! I've always liked this one:

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?startat=/getposter.asp&APNum=1639017&CID=6C887BCD34374305BE6A0562885DD15B&PPID=1&search=Laundry&f=v&FindID=0&P=1&PP=1&sortby=PD&cname=&SearchID=

luke and pamela said...

love it!!! i totally understand - i have been collecting little things, postcards, maps, etc to put up in our laundry room. which is much more scary/dungeon-y than yours. LOVE YOURS. you are so creative and actually CREATING instead of just dreaming like me.

ps. maybe you have tried this, but we get through the carlos rossi (etc.) wine jugs by mixing some with sprite/7up/etc. on ice. they call it "vino tinto" in spain. :)

Joran said...

cute ideas. aways looking for a way to cutesify mine. It is mostly decorated with sams club etire (toliet paper, paper towels...)