12 October 2009

Play Time


Our large living room is divided (by furniture) into two sections. This is the kid-friendly area of our living room, with the main wall finally decorated. There is a large indoor/outdoor rug laying across the vinyl flooring to provide some low maintenance and attractive sound proofing and softness.

I purchased the 8 inch. tall wood letters from Etsy, and painted them black. Despite shipping, it was more economical and better quality than anything I could find at a local box store (and we have no local craft stores). Think Etsy.

For the four 8x10 canvases: First I chose four children's book illustrations I wanted, and cut them to size. Yes, second hand and much loved (a.k.a. nearly trashed) children's books were harmed in the making of this project. I think we should have a moment of silence for the 15+ yr. old copy of Where the Wild Things Are, one of the greatest childrens' books of all time......

and... moving on!

Then, I painted the canvases in four coordinating but different colors. Next, I applied Mod Podge to the pages and adhered them onto their canvas. Mod Podge is wonderful, but there is definitely a technique to applying it for optimal quality. I applied about three or four coats of Mod Podge on the top, letting them dry thoroughly in between layers. Patience is necessary, and not a strong suit of mine.

That's all. It's fun, economical and attractive to mine eyes. Maybe thine eyes, too? And it sure beats a large, blank, rental-white wall.

No comments: