22 July 2009

I've Relapsed and Stuff

This past week has found us doing lots of packing. Lots and lots of packing.... We still have a tiny ways to go, but last weekend decided to quit the house, pack up the spawn and head to St. Louis to see my family just once more while we were still a measly 4.5hr. (one way) drive away. The girls did fabulous on the drive, by the way, with no portable dvd player in sight. We may have purchased and utilized some organic lollipops from Trader Joe's, however.

We had a fabulous time in St. Louis. We had to skip the Zoo, but made up for it with family dinners, time at the park, a lovely walk, spending every evening rolling down Grammy's back yard, and even a date night! Sunday night after putting the girls to bed, Eric and I snuck out to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Our first date in a couple months, and my first time in a movie theater since Christmas 2006. Exciting stuff, especially for this H.P. lover.

Also while at Grammy's, I looked through multiple boxes of old family photos. I picked out a couple dozen to keep, at Grammy's insistence, of course. It ended up being much more emotional than I anticipated, but perhaps that was just the move (coupled with the stomach bug I had) talking? Anyway. My favorite photos I came across are:

If you can picture this: My Papa (who was so handsome--like a crossover between a young Paul Newman and Marlon Brando) floating on the lake with his torso through one innertube, his legs through another tube, and a Schlitz beer in his hand. Must've been a trip to the lake with his fraternity brothers, my Grammy thinks... We were in stitches over that one. I couldn't possibly take this from my Grammy, but next time I'm in town I'd like to copy it somewhere.

My Great-Great Grandmother, Margaret Ligouri Mattingly Mowrey, with her children James Mowrey, Jr. (left) and Margaret Mattingly Mowrey (on right). My Great-Great Grandmother Margaret was a Women's Suffragette, and is remembered as being a little crabby. My Great Grandmother Margaret, Grammy's Mother, was quite well educated for a woman. She went on to receive her Master's Degree in Library Science, and was a librarian in St. Louis. So it's in the blood, you see.

My Great Grandmother Margaret at her high school graduation:

This is the loveliest picture I have of my mother. This one was a toughie for me. Here she is at her wedding to my Dad, ready to toss her bouquet of pink roses.
It's also proof I come by my red hair honestly. I just choose to enhance a little with highlights...

And... this photo is infamous in the Buback family. Little ol' me, sitting on top of the fridge at Thanksgiving, as I am scared to death of my Uncle Tim's dog, Bo. In my defense, he was a yellow lab the size of a small horse, and my Uncle Tim had told me that he found him in the woods and was part bear and wolf. To this day I'm not overly fond of large dogs.

My Grammy standing in their first apartment kitchen (which is almost a dead ringer for our first apartment kitchen), looking like a quintessential 50's housewife. She looked so beautiful there.
Now that I'm done with family photos... on to this day and age...

After last weekend's yard sale, I stopped by Goodwill to drop off the stuff that I couldn't pay anyone else to take. It was 5:53 pm, and they close at 6:00pm. I did the quickest lap through ever, just to see if they had any darn drinking glass jars for me. They did not.

But...
They had this positively darling vintage Irwin metal/wood child's desk. For $4.50.
I had seen some on Craigslist a while back for around $20 each, and even then was still very much infatuated with the idea of owning one, or two, for the girls. So at $4.50 I practically threw myself on top of the thing and screamed,
"I saw it first!"

I played it cool, though... Cool as a cucumber... Mostly.
I might refinish the wood portions, but I'm not touching the original tan paint on the metal book shelf/box. Just too darling. Even Eric thinks so! And he's sometimes confused by my love of all things Goodwill.

Taking a break from packing to run through the sprinkler. And drink a glass of Pinot Grigio. It's Mommy's 'juice box.'

A farewell photo with the fabulous ladies of the 113th Army Band's FRG, 2009 edition. My good friend Amy was kind enough to host a barbecue for us, and lots of our favorite people showed up. I made sure Eric took this pic of us, because at the official farewell next week I'm sure to be in tears, and crying is not a good look for me. Red eyes, snot nose, swollen lips.... Sort of like Angelina Jolie with pink eye.
Anywho. I should go pack something. Peace out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love old family photos, it doesn't matter who's family! Yay another Pinot lover! Have you had the Barefoot brand? It's even better if you stick it in the freezer for awhile :) Love that desk by the way, great find.