I begin by trying to have the girls entertain themselves while I finish up the day's dishes, sweep under the table, and make sure they have done their chores (i.e. fed the dog dinner and put their supper dishes on the counter). Depending on how well they entertain themselves, or each other, without hurting themselves, or each other, this can take a lil' bit.
They we commence the climb up the stairs, while I look to grab the much loved pink blankies and a really, really well loved bunny. If Amelia decides she wants to climb the stairs 'aw by self!' then, this too, can take a few minutes. She has to keep looking behind to remind me she's doing it 'aw by self!' and to see that I have both her blankies.
Bath time. And one more chore for the girls: put your own dirty clothes in the hamper for me. I try to get the washing of hair and bodies out of the way first, so there's time to play while I'm just outside the doorway folding a load of laundry. Can't fold it inside the doorway, because there is generally splashing. Even though I ask them not to splash. Repeatedly.
Next, it's time to push the basket to the wall, and get the girls out of the tub. They like to lay on the towel on the floor for a minute or two, giggling with their heads together, while I rub the other towel on their backs and heads and little, pruned feet.
Then, it's a race to the bedroom, with me always in third, as I stop to fold towels and rehang them on the way. Time for pajamas, combing of hair, and one more trip to the toilet for Hannah.
This can take a little coaxing. Or, if coaxing fails, one could always threaten the loss of tonight's story books. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
When pajamas are on, and hair is combed, we reconvene on Hannah's bed with (hopefully) between 3-5 books. Depending on what time it is. And how many times Hannah was told to go use the restroom. Amelia picks at least one book, Hannah at least 3 (she is the bigger sister, and she utilizes all the rights this privilege entails).
Books read, hopefully without any arguing about who gets to turn the page. Take turns, girls.
Now, it's time to race back to the bathroom for a round of teeth brushing. Again, me always in third, as I stop to replace books on the shelf.
Teeth brushing ensues. God willing, for a gentle but vigorous two minutes. Spit, brush your top teeth, too, please don't spit on the floor, Amelia, no, I said 'brush your top teeth,' let Mommy do this for you, now,' etc.
We spit our final spit, rinse, tap, replace into the holder, wipe our mouths, and one more race back to Hannah's bed.
Now, the girls will lay side by side and we sing a few lullabies. This is where I'm cultivating their love of Sound of Music with a little Edelweiss and My Favorite Things, a.k.a. "Sing Raindrops on Roses, Mommy." If this goes well, then there's Five Little Monkeys or Twinkle, Twinkle, too. Depends on how much yawning the vocalist interrupts herself with.
Finally, or almost, a hug and kiss goodnight between sisters. A hug and kiss goodnight between mother and big sister. Double check that the really, really well loved rabbit and pink water bottle are in their proper places beside Hannah, then the gentle closing of the door.
Amelia and I move down the hall to her room, where she gently demands some Lullaby Ro-a-bye, Baby (at least 3 times), as she lays her head on my shoulder. And maybe the Alphabet Song just for good measure.
Finally, finally, I lay Amelia down in her big girl bed. Did you know she made the switch? Just last week... a big girl toddler bed... no more crib... With a kiss goodnight, and a final check that both pink blankies and purple water bottle are in place next to Amelia. As well as her meerkat named Meow. And her Elmo lovey.
Tip-toe out the door, and close it gently. *Sigh* of relief, and a check of the watch. Is it really this late already? Finally, finally...
Now, there was a point to all this rambling...
My point was, I do not always act out this routine with the grace, sanity, and calm volume of voice that God gave me. No, no. Sometimes not. Like, really not. There are no perfect mothers anywhere, least of all in this house. And I am not looking for a pat on the back here. This is what every mother/father/care provider does each and every night.
I simply write this down to acknowledge that... well, whether I always like it or not, I am privileged to be able to actively participate in this routine. This monotonous, redundant, frustrating, tiring, precious, much loved, looked forward to, almost sacred, routine. It is important to my children. Therefore, it is important to me.
My point is that last night, for the first time,
I realized that my nights like this are numbered.
Pretty soon they will be asking to take showers separately, not baths together. And they'll want privacy. And they won't need me to clock them to see how fast they can get their pajamas on. They'll have a chapter book they want to be left alone with, and not want me to read so many books, or any at all, to them. They will know how to brush their own teeth, and God willing, do so for a gentle but vigorous two minutes. They especially won't want me to sing to them, definitely no more Sound of Music. The list goes on and on... doesn't it...
Please, please let me appreciate this wonderful, precious, much loved, looked forward to, almost sacred, routine. Please let me coax more, threaten less. Please let me use my 'inside, happy voice' more, and my 'Mommy's getting pissed voice' less. Let me appreciate it more, and more often. Let them remember this routine with warmth and fondness. Please. I know I will.
2 comments:
Quit makin me cry! ;) I like that your routine takes as long as ours! Sometimes I also feel like I just want to relax some evenings, that was a good reminder that it won't always be this way so I'd better enjoy these moments. Thanks.
seriously beautiful thoughts. <3
Post a Comment