12 January 2009

Home schoolin'









We continue to do little activities or lessons with the girls to encourage their learning through play.  Last week, we made these new heart crayons!  It was a great way to recycle some of our older art gear.  The girls had fun peeling and breaking up older crayons.  Next, we sorted them by color and put them into muffin cups to be melted in the oven.  Then, we poured the melted crayon into a silicone ice cube tray that had heart shapes in it.  Once they cooled, we popped them out and colored with them!  And like their Crayola and RoseArt counterparts, they easily wash out of the rug.  Or feet, as some children like to color their toes.  (Up top are a few photos.  I can never seem to put them where I want them.  Or in order).
This week, we are doing some art projects based around rain and snow.  For instance, the girls used water colors to paint an umbrella and raindrops drawing, we did a craft based around the book, "The Mitten," and we cut/glued felt scraps on a paper snowman to 'dress' him for winter.  (There are photos of that somewhere.  Not in order).  Later this week we will make this delicious, sweet snack: First, take a round tortilla and cut into it to create a snowflake.  Then, lightly fry it and sprinkle a little powdered sugar on it.  Ta da!  An edible snowflake!  
We have some very artistically inclined children.  It's rather fun that they are so creative, and enjoy crafts and projects of any sort.  Hannah drew her first self-portrait this week.  It had an identifiable head, eyes, torso and feet!!  I was so blown away by her drawing skills, I had to take a picture of her with it before she decided to cut it into pieces and paste it onto something else.  That picture is up there, too, somewhere.  :)

1 comment:

susan said...

They are sooo adorable and sweet. I am starting to look for ideas of things I can do at home with Lola since it looks like I'll be putting off work for a few more months. I'd LOVE to pick your brain for some ideas. I seem to always be running around out of the house, but I'd love to call you soon and chat about these mommy things with you. I MISS you. Have I mentioned that enough?