18 January 2009

All the cool kids are doing it...



Eating their veggies secretly pureed into their favorite foods!  Here's a shot of the girls eating pizza, with carrots in their pizza sauce.  
I'd been wanting Deceptively Delicious for a while, a cookbook with recipes based around adding vegetable purees into them.  I finally got it for myself on a trip to Target last month.  We still strongly encourage the girls to eat actual vegetables, because we realize the value of them developing a taste for healthy foods.  We also try to set a good example for them by eating our greens.  But... we also like the idea that the whole family can eat an extra serving or two of veggies in a meal without even tasting it.  Since getting the cookbook, I've made spaghetti sauce with zucchini, squash and/or carrot in it, mashed potatoes with cauliflower, mac-n-cheese with butternut squash, and a few more tasty meals.  The girls ate it up!  So did we, actually.  And they never knew...

2 comments:

luke and pamela said...

oooh, great idea! i've been looking at that book too! you'll have to post more about what you make from it!

Anonymous said...

I had that book from the library for awhile, it's good to hear of someone actually trying it and it working... you've motivated me to give it a shot too!