02 January 2012

Check!

Big Sister is a chess enthusiast these days. Over our Christmas trip to visit my parents, Little Sister decided Papa should teach her to play, too, so she no longer had to sit and watch from the sidelines.
Our time together gave us ample opportunity to play; mostly Papa and Daddy took turns schooling the girls.

My dad taught me at age 12, over my first (decaf) cappuccino in a little coffee shop with rustic wood furniture. It's been a long time since I've played regularly and I was never the next Bobby Fisher, so when the girls and I play it's a real 'meeting of the minds,' so to speak. I do beat them, but not with the quickness and thorough butt-whooping one might expect from such an age gap.

Big Sister is a bit competitive and focuses pretty well. Little Sister is a little allovertheplace, but likes to utilize her new chess vernacular in her lengthy, wordy play-by-plays. Capture and threaten being favorites, with the phrase bad trade coming in a close second.

We sure do love these girls.

No comments: