07 August 2010

Dance Lessons, Booze Cruise and the Ballet Bag

Big Sister began dance lessons again this week, and is incredibly excited the time had finally arrived. We are incredibly excited because Mrs. B is the quintessential dance teacher: a small and sprightly retired pro with a firm set of rules, a thick accent and a gentle voice. We have no doubts our passionate little dancer will flourish there.

Bun, no jewelry, no nail polish, black leotard, pink tights, and pink leather ballet shoes. Always arrive five minutes early and ready to dance.


Those precious, pink ballet shoes.

I knew my girl could use a new tote bag for... well, toting her water bottle, extra bobby pins and new pink ballet shoes to and from dance class.

I used this tutorial here from Skip to My Lou for guidance, but according to my desired measurements. Wanting to experiment with serging and stripes (and only use fabric already in my stash), I alternated two pieces each of three different fabrics, sized 5x13 inches, for the exterior. The reversible interior was two pieces of white canvas fabric, each sized 15x13 inches. The pink and green polka-dot fabric was used for the roughly 10 inch length straps. I also used a 13x13 inch piece of the same fabric, folded in half and sewed straight down the middle, to add a set of interior pockets to one side of the white canvas. Does any of that make sense?

That's okay. You probably didn't come here for sewing advice, which is good since I have none. I'm still sort of flying by the seat of my pants. However, I was really proud of this bag, and excited to show Sis and Hubby the following morning. Conception to fruition, it took me from 8:30pm to 1:00am, with a break for chocolate milk and a rerun of The Office.

It was the Booze Cruise episode, if you were wondering. I heart Jim and Pam. It's so me and Hubby when we first met, and were just friends but he like-liked me but was waiting for me to dump the guy I was dating but had no future with, and then by the time we had our first date we were practically in love already and thinking, "Ohmigosh, is this is my future spouse?!"

Ahem. Digress much?

We call it the 'ballet bag.' It is technically reversible, but Big Sis prefers the more vibrant pinks and yellows.
Let the dancing begin!

2 comments:

luke and pamela said...

ow, it looks great! i wish we lived closer... i haven't done any sewing since... may. :(

luke and pamela said...

um, that was supposed to read WOW. :)