18 June 2009

I'm Learning...

While the Hubs is gone for several weeks to BNCOC, this entire experience is teaching me a lot about the kind of person and mother I am, and the caliber of person and mother I hope to be.
  • I'm learning that I do need breaks from my children, to give me time to really relax. To reach that mental bliss where you're not constantly averting your eyes from the grown-up you're speaking to in order to count your child's heads, fingers, toes, etc., from across the room. It's like a nervous tick, and people prolly find it rude. It prolly is rude... Give me, like, 10 more years to outgrow it, please? Okay, 12 tops!
  • It's good to miss them.
  • They deserve a break from me, too. I'm the grown-up they're around 24/7, good, bad and ugly. I tell them what to do, when to do it. I'm taller. I'm bossiest. That must get annoying. They deserve a break from me, too. I'd never thought of it that way before tonight.
  • I'm learning that, despite the fact that you are tired, you do need to get physically active to keep yourself (in the long run) feeling energized and healthy. And sleep, if possible, should be a priority, too. Those airline pamphlets have it right: "Adults, please place the mask over your own mouth before assisting your child{ren}." Basically, if you're no good to yourself, you are definitely no good to your children. That means fewer crafts get done... but, alas.
  • I'm learning that I'm a little more high strung than I would like to be. *Sigh* It's constantly a work in progress; hopefully it won't always be. But I think I'm learning to role with the punches a little bit more. And really, what screams go with flow more than banana pancakes for dinner 3x in 3 weeks, right? Am I right? But in all seriousness, I read this tonight, I hope it goes through my mind and into my heart more often:
“I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” Philippians 4:11
  • I should say "yes" more. It's easier to say 'no' or 'not now.' It's not just about safety or cleanliness or facing public ridicule or judgment, though that is sometimes a factor. Like, "Why do we wear clothes outside, Mommy? Why can't we jump down the stairs in your high heels, Mommy?" I do try to say 'yes,' but more than I'd like it's with reservations, like 'in just a few minutes, let Mommy finish {insert chore here}.' I should mean what I say more often. And I should mean "yes, immediately" more often.
  • I'm learning just how much I value our family, how lucky we are to have a stay-at-home parent and a totally supportive working parent. It's our ideal, and we're living it. That's pretty spectacular.
  • We miss Eric so much, but isn't it also completely wonderful how much we miss him? How much we value what he contributes to our daily life? And how much he does indeed contribute? We are so fortunate. End of story.
  • I'm learning that, despite all the wonderful people we know here, I need to work a little bit harder at building active/social friendships with them. It can get a little lonely at times, new places and new faces, no real friends. But it doesn't have to if you make an effort. We will remember this at our next duty station. Party at our hiz-ouse!
  • I want more Mommy-Daughter dates with my children, separately.
  • I want more dates with my husband! Just us!
  • I'm learning that, despite the stigmas attached to drinking alone, sometimes a Mama just deserves a small glass of wine and a hot bubble bath at the end of the day. Or a plate of onion rings, the panko-breaded kind, with Heinz ketchup with freshly ground pepper and just a sprinkle of seasoned salt mixed in. Just a random suggestion....
Now, on to that 'good sleep' thing....

No comments: