21 November 2008

Hibernating








 
  This past week in Kentucky has been especially cold.  We watched the first snowfall of the year yesterday evening!  Hannah said, "Mommy, look!  It's falling down all around!  We will need mittens and coats and hats to play in it."  
  With the weather being so chilly and windy, we spent some time inside this week 'hibernating.' Perhaps a little too much.  After all, we are fortunate enough to own coats and snow pants.  
  But, at least, we made good use of our time!  The girls and I really enjoyed playing with some new home school activities.  These included following a recipe to make our own play-doh, also baking "apple pie pockets" and sugar cookies,  coloring, stamping, using shaving cream on our shower wall to write letters and shapes, playing with BEANS (we practice counting and measuring with dried beans), etc.  I like how relaxed it is.  There's no lesson plan.  We're just presenting the girls with opportunities to learn something new through play.  It also generally includes plenty of time in the great outdoors...  Which we will resume this weekend!
  I've also had a nice time during our rest period each afternoon, though I've hardly been resting.  Lots of tea and crafts!  And salvage projects!  My favorite so far is my new kitchen step stool.  During a walk last weekend, I found a wood step stool being left for trash pick up.  It's a very rudimentary shape, but it's sturdy.  Since there are definitely times when I need a step up to reach something in the kitchen, I decided to grab it.  Walter and I carried it home together, and I've spent the last week painting on a 'primitive country' design.  I need to complete minor touch ups this weekend, but there's a picture of it posted.  I like it!!  
  Also, a couple years back I came across a copper pitcher in a not-quite-so antique shop in downtown Phoebus, VA.  I purchased it for only $2, but had yet to polish it up.  Until this week, that is... I 'googled' a homemade copper polish recipe, slapped a little of the paste on there, and BAM!  It's looks great!  Glad I spent that $2!
  As you can see, we're keeping busy and loving life.  If we don't post again beforehand, we hope you all have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

luke and pamela said...

amanda, great stuff here! love it! the baking, the crafts, the refurbishing! nice work! and it must feel so good!